Welcome to Law Lingo: a monthly blog series brought to you by Brown & Crona, LLC that explains estate planning terminologies in simple terms. This month we will explain the concept of what an attorney is.
Attorney is another word for lawyer or attorney at law. These are umbrella terms that encompass the vast legal field. There is no single type of attorney that can cover any type of legal issue – because the legal system is so complex and specialized, it is important to hire the right type of attorney to handle your unique case.
Types of Attorneys
Here is a sampling of the different legal situations that could arise and the type of attorney that can help you through the legal process.
- You want to create a will or trust
- You need to create a business entity (corporation, partnership, limited liability company, etc.)
- Your loved ones require guardianship or conservatorship
- You want to start litigation proceedings against an estate
- Attorney Type Needed: estate planning or probate litigation attorney
- You were involved in a car accident and suffered an injury
- You sustained a fall injury due to the negligence of another
- An insurance company is denying your personal injury claim
- You cannot get the medical care you need after an accident
- Attorney Type Needed: personal injury attorney
- You have been charged with committing a crime (misdemeanor or felony)
- Someone committed a crime against you and you want to prosecute
- Attorney Type Needed: criminal attorney
- You and your spouse are divorcing
- There are child custody issues that need to be resolved
- Attorney Type Needed: family law attorney
- You are an employee with a problem at work that needs legal intervention
- Your company is being sued by an employee
- Your company needs help with compliance issues
- You have been injured on the job
- Attorney Type Needed: employment attorney, corporate attorney or worker’s compensation attorney
- You are having tax problems
- The IRS has contacted you regarding these issues
- Attorney Type Needed: tax attorney
- Your business is having financial difficulties that cannot be fixed
- Your personal finances are in jeopardy
- Attorney Type Needed: bankruptcy attorney
- You are a doctor who is facing a lawsuit
- You are a patient or the loved ones of someone who was the victim of medical malpractice
- Attorney Type Needed: medical malpractice attorney
- You need to sue another person
- Someone is suing you
- Attorney Type Needed: civil litigation attorney
- You are from another country and living in the United States
- You need information about citizenship, green cards, visas, asylum, etc.
- Attorney Type Needed: immigration attorney
Do you need help planning for your assets in the event of your death? Do you need assistance establishing or administering a conservatorship or guardianship? Administering an estate? The Denver estate lawyers at Brown & Crona, LLC are here to help. Contact us at (303) 339-3750 or send us a message online to meet with our experts.