Is a Business Lawyer Really Necessary for a Small Business?
It’s almost always better to be proactive, rather than reactive. This is especially important when you are running a small business. While enlisting the services of a business attorney in Denver might seem like overkill for certain tasks such as writing a business plan or securing the appropriate permits and licenses, there are other areas that will best be handled by a trained professional. In fact, a business lawyer might alert you to potential legal problems that you had never thought about.
When sticky legal situations arise, your business will be in a better position to act swiftly to resolve those issues if you have already established a relationship with a business lawyer. For example, your small business could find itself the center of:
- Discrimination lawsuits
- Disputes with contractors, vendors and business partners
- Customer or business partner fraud
- Lawsuits over intellectual property rights
- Worker’s compensation or personal injury lawsuits
- Wrongful death lawsuits
- And many more legal situations
There are legal ways to protect your small business; hiring a Denver business planning lawyer can help you determine the best courses of action.
- It may be beneficial to form a limited liability company (LLC) to make your business a completely separate entity from your own personal belongings. If your small business is sued, the accusing person or company cannot go after your personal assets.
- A business lawyer can help you identify and set up the proper forms to use for documenting all of the business dealings you have such as employee agreements, terminations, disputes, etc. The better records your company keeps, the better off you will be at responding to various allegations of wrongdoing.
- In order to avoid going to trial, in some cases a business lawyer may be able to provide mediation through alternate dispute resolutions. Again, already having a trusted lawyer on your side will make this process quicker to undertake.
The bottom line? It’s not 100% necessary to hire a small business lawyer, but by doing so you will be doing everything in your power to protect the business you’ve worked so hard to build. The Colorado business lawyers at The Brown Law Firm, LLC can help you determine the most appropriate steps to take and become a trusted resource for your small business. Call (303) 339-3750 or visit our website online to schedule an appointment.