(303) 339-3750 Online Bill Pay

Brown Law Blogs

Temporary Guardianship Forms in Colorado

There are many different situations in which you may need to appoint a temporary guardian for your minor children or adult children with special needs while you are alive and only one parent is able to provide care:

  • Extended business trip
  • Recuperation from a medical procedure
  • Long stay in a rehabilitation facility
  • Incarceration
  • Emergency situation such as an accident
  • Divorce or separation
  • Financial difficulties
  • Situation of domestic violence or unstable home environment

A relative can also petition the courts so that a temporary guardian can be named for your children on your behalf.

While the temporary guardian does not need to be a family member, it should be a trusted individual that knows your children very well and one that you know will properly care for and love them. The guardian will be responsible for making personal, financial and medical decisions for your children for a certain length of time (this will vary depending on the situation at hand). The decisions made by the guardian may be monitored by the courts for the protection of your children.

Colorado temporary guardianship forms can be accessed by visiting this website: https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=103. However, it is highly recommended that you consult a Denver estate planning lawyer to make sure you are filling out the proper information and making the very best decisions for your children. Failure to complete these forms properly may result in precious time wasted in moving your children to a safe and caring environment.

The team at The Brown Law Firm, LLC has extensive experience helping families and family friends handle the filing process so it is completed in a seamless and timely manner. Contact us at (303) 339-3750 or send us a message online to learn more.