(303) 339-3750 Online Bill Pay

Brown Law Blogs

Transferring Guardianship Between States

Not all states share the same laws or legal requirements regarding guardianships. Legal, court-appointed guardianships in one state may not be accepted if you decide to move the protected person (ward) to another state. Luckily, most states have a system in place to reduce complications associated with moving incapacitated adults or minors across state lines.

Colorado has adopted the Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act (UAGPPJA). There are several goals of this Act in relation to transferring adult or minor guardianship and conservatorships between states:

  • Designate only one state at a time to have jurisdiction over the protected parties
  • Facilitate interstate cooperation with the transfer
  • Outline procedural steps to ensure a streamlined transfer
  • Ensure all parties are following the provisions of the guardianship or conservatorship
  • Eliminate the need to initiate costly and time-consuming proceedings in the new state to determine guardianship or conservatorship needs
  • Ensure the relocation is permanent, in the ward’s best interests and the new home is comfortable
  • Address all oppositions to the move

There are currently 45 states in the U.S. as well as the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands that have enacted this Act. States have not yet enacted this Act, and where transfer of guardianship may be more challenging, include:

  • Florida
  • Kansas
  • Michigan
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

At The Brown Law Firm, LLCwe want to help you make the transfer of wards as complication-free and stress-free as possible. Our team can help you move through the right legal process to initiate and carryout the transfer. Failure to follow the proper steps may result in costly fees, court investigation, legal snags, disruption of life for the ward and a whole host of other complications.

To learn more about transferring guardianships to or from Colorado, contact The Brown Law Firm, LLC, to arrange an appointment: (303) 339-3750 or visit our website.